Saturday, February 20, 2010

Port Vila, Vanuatu

I went on my first work trip last week, to Port Vila, the capital of Vanuatu. I was there for a week of meetings and it was a good opportunity to hear about development issues in the Pacific and meet people from across the region.


Vanuatu is an interesting country with a unique modern history, having been jointly governed by the UK and France between 1906 until Independence in 1980. The French and English influences are still evident, especially the French in the excellent food, such as the famous Vanuatu beef.

I didn't get to see much of the place, mainly spending time in meeting rooms. The weather was very hot and steamy. There is lots to see and do and although it is a bit expensive (e.g. about US$22 for a meal and $12 for a glass of wine) I hope we go back on holiday some time. I would particularly like to see Mount Yasur, an active volcano that erupts several times an hour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment